OVERVIEW ON FAIRMONT ZIMBALI IN DURBAN
On KwaZulu-Natal’s Dolphin Coast, under an abundant forest canopy, you will find Zimbali – Zulu for “valley of flowers.” A sanctuary unlike any other in South Africa, this charming and unspoiled region is a nature lover’s wonderland. Dappled shadows from the lush vegetation and cool breezes from the Indian Ocean leave their mark on your soul. Endless beaches and clear skies invite you to relax and dream. Within this subtropical paradise, set within the serene confines of a coastal forest reserve, you will find the highest expression of exclusive hospitality: Fairmont Zimbali Lodge. A 50 hectare reserve within the estate has been demarcated as conservation areas providing a refuge to the rich variety of local flora & fauna. Pathways and wooden viewing decks through out these areas allow residents to interact with nature. Zimbali has several natural springwater lakes which create a beautiful habitat to the 85 species of bird, hosts of butterflies and a wide variety of indigenous plant life. Animal life within the forest reserve include bush buck, blue duiker, bushbaby, vervet monkey, banded mongoose and even wild pig. The eastern frontage of the South Africa luxury resort comprises a 3 km stretch of unspoilt beach forming a natural golden boundary between the rich green forest and the warm blue Indian Ocean.
All rooms at Fairmont Zimbali Lodge offer five-star luxury accommodation, designed to harmonize in tone and style with the natural surrounding forest. The African classical architecture is complemented by warm wood tones which occur throughout. Bathrooms are luxurious with freestanding Victorian baths and delightful attention to detail. Each room is well stocked with a selection of hot beverages, light snacks and a mini bar. Butlers are on hand to attend to guests’ every need. The architectural design philosophy preserves and enhances the innate harmony of the environment. The 76 guest rooms complement the natural surrounding forest and the classical architecture is accentuated by warm wood and russet autumn tones.The bathrooms are luxurious and feature Victorian baths from the turn of the century. Personal Butlers attend to the guest’s every need. The cuisine at the lodge is superb and caters for the varied tastes of discerning guests.
Fairmont Resort Room: Set against the tranquil coastal forest, Fairmont Resort Rooms combine traditional African decor exemplified by warm wood and russet tones and generous comfort, including a four piece bathroom with Victorian claw foot bathtub and separate shower, a working desk and Wi-Fi high-speed Internet access. A terraced balcony area is accessed through wide sliding doors that open onto lush natural surroundings, making this an ideal setting for a private getaway. Fairmont Resort Rooms are part of Fairmont Zimbali Lodge. Private butler service and the use of a golf cart for transportation around the property is available.
Signature View Room: Offering staggering and spectacular views, the Signature View Rooms feature a well appointed four piece bathroom with Victorian claw foot tub and separate shower, working desk and Wi-Fi high-speed Internet access. An exclusive balcony area opens onto the 18 hole golf course, lake or the Indian ocean, providing the most ideal location from which to observe the natural flora and fauna of the Fairmont Zimbali Lodge. Signature View Rooms are part of Fairmont Zimbali Lodge. Private butler service and the use of a golf cart for transportation around the property is available.
Deluxe Suite: Ideal for families or for those who prefer additional privacy, the Deluxe One Bedroom Suites feature a spacious living area, including a dining room table that seats up to 4 people, which can be sectioned off from the bedroom by an adjoining door. Deluxe suites also include a four piece bathroom with Victorian claw foot tub and separate shower, working desk and Wi-Fi high-speed Internet access. A terraced balcony area is accessed through wide sliding doors that open onto lush natural surroundings, making this an ideal setting for a private getaway. Deluxe Suites are part of Fairmont Zimbali Lodge. Private butler service and the use of a golf cart for transportation around the property is available.
Signature View Suite: Featuring staggering views of the property and surrounding area, the Signature View Suites feature a spacious living area, including a dining room table that seats up to four people, which can be sectioned off from the bedroom by an adjoining door. These suites also include a four piece bathroom with Victorian claw foot tub and separate shower, a working desk and Wi-Fi high-speed Internet access. A terraced balcony area is accessed through wide sliding doors that open onto lush natural surroundings, making this an ideal setting for a private getaway. Signature View Suites are part of Fairmont Zimbali Lodge. Private butler service and the use of a golf cart for transportation around the property is available.
Forest Suite: Set against the tranquil coastal forest, these suites combine traditional African decor exemplified by warm wood and russet tones and generous comfort, for the ultimate in luxurious accommodation. The Forest Suites feature a spacious living area, including a sofa bed and dining room table that seats up to four people, which can be sectioned off from the bedroom by an adjoining door. The private and exclusive balcony area onto the 18 hole golf course, lake or the Indian ocean, providing the most ideal location from which to observe the natural flora and fauna of the Fairmont Zimbali Lodge. One of the most unique features of this suite is a five piece bathroom that includes a turn of the century freestanding Victorian bathtub, in addition to separate indoor and outdoor showers. With private check-in, personal use of a golf cart, access to a private swimming pool and located in close proximity to the Club House, Forest Suites are ideal for an idyllic romantic getaway or a private family retreat.
Children: Please note that while 1 young child can be accommodated on a sleeper couch in the standard rooms, if there is more than 1 child they may have to be accommodated in a seperate room depending on their ages (8 years and above usually). The standard rooms do not have interleading doorways. A suite can be used with an optional twin room adjoined.1
Dining At Fairmont Zimbali
Fairmont Zimbali Lodge in South Africa offers a selection of fine dining options at the hotel. The Restaurant and Fountain Court offer indoor and outdoor dining amongst a lavish atmosphere. At The Lounge guests can enjoy an after dinner nightcap by the warm, inviting fireplace. And finally you can also indulge in light snacks at the Pool Bar while viewing the magnificent Indian Ocean. In-room dining is also available upon request.
Thandi Restaurant and Fountain Court: Thandi Restaurant accommodates ninety guests indoors, and also offers outdoor dining on the Fountain Court. This intimate venue’s décor enhances the colonial mood of the Lodge. It is lavishly designed, incorporating the rich hues of crafted wooden furniture and specially designed fabrics. The chef insists that only the freshest ingredients are good enough for the delicious meals presented at Zimbali Lodge. A tea menu is also available.
Breakfast: Breakfast is served in the restaurant or in the secluded Fountain Court and the menu includes continental and cooked breakfasts with delicious plates of eggs benedict, eggs florentine and french omelettes. Golfers with early morning tee-off times can enjoy a continental breakfast. Lunch: The emphasis is on lightness, freshness, and healthy eating. The lunch menu comprises of a choice of exotic salads, light grills, and fish. Lunches can be enjoyed on the patio or at the pool-deck.
The Lounge: The superbly appointed Lounge has a magnificent fireplace and its colonial elegance, provides a delightful after dinner venue. Nightcaps are served and include coffee, cognac and liqueurs.
Trophy Bar: Elevated on stilts, high above the fourteenth fairway and offering a magnificent view of the Indian Ocean, guests can enjoy a light lunch and drinks in the beauty of the great outdoors. The bar is open to the balmy subtropical air and overlooks the swimming pool area with its backdrop of lush, indigenous forest. A variety of cigars are also available.
Activities At Fairmont Zimbali
- Golf: The coastal area of Natal, as well as being home to the exclusive Zimbali Country Club, is home to some of the best golf courses in South Africa. It is a mere 50 kilometers from the number one golf course in South Africa, the Durban Country Club.
- Tennis: There are two all weather, floodlit tennis courts. Tennis rackets and balls are available for use by lodge residents, from the clubhouse.
- Swimming: The beautiful pool area with two outdoor swimming pools is incredible with its scenic appointment overlooking the Indian Ocean. The infinity pool appears to meander directly into the sea and offers guests a tranquil and relaxing diversion. Sun Loungers, umbrellas and towels are available.
- Beach & Lake: Guests can soak up the sun and the splendor of the beach or the unique lakeside and even enjoy an al fresco picnic. The secluded beach pool is equipped with umbrellas, loungers and refreshments are provided. This stretch of coastline is not designated for swimming however, other bathing beaches are located nearby.
- Horseback Riding: Take a gentle canter around the estate on horseback, meander through the indigenous forest accompanied by experienced guides. Bird and Butterfly Watching: As a protected environment, the Estate is home to a wide variety of birdlife and magnificent butterflies.
- Forest Walks: Enjoy the splendour of this sub-tropical forest with a brisk walk or a leisurely stroll. You may enchanter a shy antelope along the way.
- Health and Beauty Spa: Guests can treat themselves to the health and luxury they deserve, with a whole range of therapies such as: 4 treatment rooms for body treatments, facials, manicures, pedicures and massages. Includes a Health Hydro Shower.
- Other Activities: Mountain biking, Forest walks, Deep-sea fishing and scuba diving
- Shakaland Zulu Cultural Tour
- Ushaka Marine Aquarium
- Surfing, Fishing, Golf, Squash and Tennis Available In The Area
- Durban City Tour
- Connect & Tour Johannesburg and Cape Town
- Connect to South Africa safaris to Kruger, Sabi Sand, Madikwe, Shamwari, Phinda, Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Parks and Reserves
- Connect to Victoria Falls & Zambia safaris in South Luangwa, Lower Zambezi & Kafue Parks
- Connect to Botswana safaris in Okavango Delta, Chobe, Moremi, Savuti & Central Kalahari
- Connect to Tanzania safaris in Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara, Tarangire, Selous, Ruaha, Gombe, Mahale
- Connect to Kenya safaris in Masai Mara, Samburu, Amboseli, Lake Nakuru, Tsavo, Laikipia
- Connect Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Kenya climb tours
- Relax at Indian Ocean Beach Islands of Zanzibar, Kenya, Mauritius, Seychelles.